Monday, January 23, 2012

Warrior in training...

"Whyyyyy am I doing this??"  This I asked myself while pushing through the last five minute interval of my Couch-to-5K training yesterday.  Quickly enough though, I checked myself "Oh come on, you can do this!!"  I think these internal conversations happen to everyone at some point.  But why am I doing this? Why am I running?  Ultimately, it's about setting a goal and hitting it head on!

Up until now, my goals have been centered around weight loss and eating healthy.  Exercise, working out, running... ugh! A clue about my motivation to workout; I paid a full year's gym membership last year and likely stepped foot in the place ten times (don't tell Dave Ramsey).  My sister asked me to join Abe's Army with her last year, but I had no interest in running.  Friends run, co-workers run, I see posts on Facebook about running, success story after the next, and nothing hit me.

What changed?  Some co-workers started talking about the Warrior Dash and running it together.  If you haven't heard of it, the organizers of the Warrior Dash call it "a mud-crawling, fire-leaping, extreme run from hell."  More specifically, it is a 5K with 12 obstacles throughout including a cargo net climb, a stampede through a scrap yard, repelling down a ravine, crawling through mud under barbed wire and more.  Call me nuts (you wouldn't be the first) but THIS caught my attention.  I mean, how awesome is this?  I am signed up for the June 16, 2012 Warrior Dash in Channahon, Illinois. Fitness goal, check!!!



Couch-to-5K has a great reputation for new runners and I am having great success with it.  Is running easy? My answer is, not yet.  Easier than I had imagined.  I still have much to learn.  Thankfully, I am surrounded by family and friends, some of whom are experienced and knowledgeable runners, to support me in reaching this new goal of mine.

What ever you are doing, what ever goal you have set for yourself... keep it up! You can do this! Surround yourself with awesome people who will support you and push you.  Don't talk yourself out of it, talk yourself up!


3 comments: