Monday, January 30, 2012

My First Outdoor Run




I was going to the gym Saturday and decided to do my Couch to 5K outside. It was sunny (a little chilly) but I had all my new duds and my new shoes, so I was ready to go!
All I had a goofy ski mask for a stocking cap but I made it work. I had a vest and gloves so I kept pretty warm. I started out with the normal 5 minute warm up walk. The sun felt so good on my face. It felt like early spring. I was a little stiff when I started my run/walk, run/walk, but it got better with each interval. I took in all my surroundings and listened to some great music, which made the time go fast.
When on the treadmill I am forever looking at the time - so just listening for the prompt to "begin running" or "begin walking" made the time seem to go by much faster. I refused to look at the program on my iPhone. The music and scenery helped. My 30 minutes of run/walking, including the 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down was just at 2.3 miles. It was was actually a little faster than I do on the treadmill, but I also increased the running time this week, so that probably had something to do with it.
I was on a roll, so I walked another mile - just because. It was a great experience and I plan to put in some outdoor time this week because the forecast looks great. I liked being at the park. It felt like there was a degree of "control", which I liked. 3 times around the park was a little over 3 miles.
My shin hurt when I first started and actually, by the time I finished the pain was gone. I felt GREAT!!! I just had to take the (very unflattering) photo of myself so you could see how elated I was! Goal accomplished.
That's all for now - nothing too clever, funny or exciting. Just the facts.
xxoo

5 comments:

  1. Kim, what week of your C25K program are you on? I'm on Week 3/4 (the flu set me back a bit last week; I'm hoping to catch up in the next few days).

    ReplyDelete
  2. EM -
    I am on Week 3, Day 3. I really wanted to run outdoors yesterday but my daughter almost had an emergency C Section, so she thwarted my big plans! I had a hard time on the treadmill last night. My ankle and knee hurt (due to car accident, not running) but I should have warmed up more. I pushed through and I feel okay today.
    I have to laugh because I wrote you a response and asked you if you'd like to run with me sometime but I looked you up before sending it and see that you are in Chicago!!! LOL! That could be a challenge!(I will be in Chicago next month on business, so hey - maybe we CAN run together if your schedule allows! :)I am in Chicago late afternoon Tuesday, February 21 and will leave around 9:00 am Thursday, the 23rd. I'll be staying downtown. :)
    Are you running indoors or out right now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Kim! Running outside is really different than the treadmill. It's seems more like an adventure, less like a hamster wheel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tammy! You and Shane are such an inspiration! I ran outdoors yesterday too and it's so much better!

    ReplyDelete