Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Think I Can...

Running—yuck! That was my initial reaction in junior high when a friend suggested we join the track team.  But, we joined anyway and I found no enjoyment in it.  I was slow and unable to run further than 100 yards without wanting to die.  My track career ended with the season and so did thoughts of ever running again….until I turned 30.
The milestone birthday brought with it a lot of turmoil in my life.  I started walking alone in the evening just to find solitude and clear my head.  One evening after a few weeks of walking, I realized I was bored with the pace, so I started jogging and surprised myself when I was still jogging after about 5 blocks—a personal record for sure!   
This unleashed a desire to conquer my running phobia.  Each night I pushed myself a little further until after about a month, I found myself running the entire 3-mile route that included lots of hills (I lived in Petersburg).  I had a significant sense of accomplishment.   I began to dream big as I held aspirations of running a marathon one day!  But, the dream never came to fruition and eventually my marriage ended in divorce and I lost all interest in running.  That was 1998.
In late 2006 I took up running again as a means to clear my head and find solitude.  During the second round of running, I battled bursitis in my hip and a bad knee…so I quit after about six months of frustration.  Finally, in early 2009, a girlfriend suggested we join Abe’s Army and run Abe’s Amble (6.2 miles)!  I thought she was crazy.  But, the old desire surfaced and we joined.
It was great having a team to run with while I trained.  But, during that time I battled tendonitis in my right leg and the bum knee reared its ugly head again.  I decided I was going to push through it.  So, I saw a sports trainer and he gave me exercises to overcome the tendonitis and suggested I start bicycling for cross-training.  I shelled out $500 for a bike and started my uphill climb to overcome.  After a few weeks of short runs and lots of cycling, I returned to the running group and finished my training for Abe’s Amble.  In 2009, I finished my first race ever---and I was addicted.
The next year proved a difficult running year (2010) and I opted out of all running after I blew out my knee in July.  I had to start feeding my addiction again in 2011 and found my way to running Abe’s Amble again.  I also ran another 10k with a great time and that further fed my need for speed…so to speak.  I ran my first 5k in October and trained to run a 10-miler in November (which I did not end up running due to family obligations).  Now…I am on fire to complete my first half marathon in the spring. 
There are days that running is fun…and days that running completely blows!  But, each of us as runners has a purpose in the madness.  Some do it for health reasons.  Some run to lose weight.  Some run just for the fun of it.  I run to stay focused and disciplined.
Distractions have always thrown my dreams off course.  Running keeps me focused.  I have to be disciplined to get my body to run 13.1 miles.  The awesome thing is discipline is beginning to transfer to other areas of my life…and I am reaping the benefits of fulfilling some of my other life-long dreams as a result!
Oh yeah--I've lost weight and I'm more healthy too.  Great side benefits of discpline.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Becky! Welcome aboard as a contributer. I hope to read more from you... especially your entry about your first half marathon!!!! GO BECKY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!!! Good job, Becky. I hope to join the club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post. Congrats on regaining your discipline!

    ReplyDelete