Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mama Got a New Pair of Shoes (and a few incidentals)




I love to go shopping! I even like to shop at the grocery store! I know, I'm weird. So when it was suggested I get a new pair of running shoes for my Couch to 5K thingy, I was all over it! You don't have to tell this girl twice to shop for shoes!

I waited 2 weeks because I wanted to make sure that I was committed and that I bought the right shoe at a running store. I haven't had much time to get out to the west end of town, but yesterday while I was working in Rockford, I noticed that there was a specialty running shoe store about 5 blocks from the location I was working at. How convenient!!!

So after my meeting, I went and began the process of finding just the right shoe. The sales person was very knowledgeable. I told him I was a new runner and that I was doing the couch to 5K thing. I told him about my car accident and the issues I have with my back, knee and shin on the right side. He asked me to walk across the room and he told me that when I walked my feet turned in a bit. Then he brought me 4 pairs of shoes. 1 Nike, 1 New Balance, 1 Sauceny, and 1 Brooks. I tried them on and they all felt pretty much the same. I tried the Brooks on last and they fit like a glove. (I had never heard of Brooks) I tried the New Balance and the Brooks on together (the New Balance was a closeout model and a little cheaper) and felt pretty confident that the Brooks felt best, so I bought the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12.

I was so excited I just had to do some more shopping! I found a Marshall's and bought ear buds, new socks and 4 pieces of running attire. I was elated!!!

I remembered someone saying to buy your shoes 1/2 size bigger than dress shoes. I hadn't checked the shoe size before my purchase and realized before I started my run this morning that I came home with a size 8. I just assumed the knowledgeable fellow at the shoe store had me try on 8 1/2 because I told him I normally wore a size 8. They felt fine when I ran - but I just keep thinking I should have gotten an 8 1/2. I checked the Brooks website and sure enough - they recommend buying 1/2 to 1 size larger. The shoe store in Rockford didn't open until 11:00 and I was due back at the office at 1:00. I'm feeling pretty stupid bout now.

I called the nice young fellow and asked him about the size. He said he remembered me and felt like when he checked my toe that it felt like it was right. He said he was pretty good at sizing, but I could detect a faint "oops" in his voice. I admit - the shoe feels fine - but there is not a whole lot of "wiggle room".

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is going to bug the crap out of me!!! Darn! I wish I would have taken the time to check.

PS - Don't tell my husband I bought the new duds. He was fine with the shoes - but I don't want to push it!!!

PSS - What else do I need to buy?????




6 comments:

  1. If they feel ok when you're running it's probably ok. Definitely need a tech base layer if you're gonna run in winter. A good wind break / water proof resistant / warm running jacket is pretty nice too. They even make tech hats now to wick sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim,
    I did that for a living for 5 years. At Red Wing, our most important priority is fit because you can always return the shoe if it doesn't fit right...so it was my job to make sure the fit. Anyway, THE most important thing in fit is where your arch comes down at the ball (behind your big toe). If it comes down at the flex of the shoe it is right on no matter how much room there is in the toe. When you measure feet on a "branick" there are 2 measurements, length, width, and arch length. If you can find one measure where your arch comes down and try that size. Probably more than you wanted to know, but your feet will thank you and your shoes will last longer (just like tires with uneven wear etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - the reason they tell you to go a half size up, is when you run long distances, your feet will swell up. They just want to make sure things don't get tight mid run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shopping spree Kim! I love new running shoes--just got some last week. If your shoes feel okay while/after running, I think you are fine. Your feet do swell a little while running, so it accounts for the extra room. Also on really long distances, it puts pressure on your toenails and that can do damage, but not always. You don't have to worry about that yet. By the time your are training for your first half marathon, you will be in your 2nd pair of running shoes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone!!! Great information! You made me feel so much better. Agreed - I will be in my second pair of shoes before I do a long distance run.
    I would like to do a 5K in March, if possible. Is there any coming up that are nearby?
    Scott are you up for a 5K to do with me? The fellow at the running store told me to be sure and find a race and enter it. He said that running is all about goal setting and if you have a race in mind you will be focused and work toward the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, that was great advice. He was absolutely right about that! There is not a lot of races nearby this time of year, though there is one in late march in Decatur.
    http://www.penguininthepark.com/

    ReplyDelete