Monday, January 2, 2012

The Official 'How To Not Be Fat" Formula OR How to look like Kara Goucher in just weeks!


There is a secret to losing weight. It's been proven to work every time. It has two equal either/or halves.

Are you ready? Cause this is big... look around... make sure no one is looking over your shoulder. I'm about to share it with you.


Here it is:
"Burn More Calories Than You Take In."
OR
"Take In Less Calories Than You Burn."

Wow. Isn't that impressive? I bet you've never heard THAT before. Okay, I'll stop being facetious now.  But honestly, this is the formula. Now obviously there are more "details" to it then that, but that is the basic formula.

Here is the nuts and bolts outline of my formula to lose weight.

Step 1. Establish a baseline understanding of how many calories you're eating each day. This means counting calories for everything you take in, including liquids. There are a few great websites that make it easy, Livestrong and My Fitness Pal are two that I've used. Both make it easy to count your calories with just a few clicks.

Step 2. Remove 500 calories a day from your diet. How you do this is up to you. You can either control portion size (good practice anyway) or replace something in your diet with a lower calorie version. You just need 500 less a day. No restrictions on what you eat, but you'll find the more healthy a food is, that often it will be much lower in calories than foods that are bad for you. All green vegetables are extremely low in calories for example.

Step 3. Add 500 calories to your daily burn. This essentially means some sort of intensive exercise for roughly an hour a day. You can split the hour in pieces if you like, but you need to be putting real heart pumping effort in each time. Weight training is the best because it elevates your calorie burn for up to 36 hours after a session. Running is probably your best bang for your buck in terms of calories burned per minute of cardio exercise. Most people do fine just by walking 60 minutes a day. If you can only manage a half hour a day, you will still lose weight, just not as fast.

This should lose you two pounds a week. Probably more the first week as water weight gets sweat away.
3500 calories equal 1 pound. With a net reduction of a 1000 calories day, 7000 calories per week equals 2 pounds. I guarantee you if you follow the above steps you will lose weight. Roughly 2 pounds a week.

I think it bears mentioning also that one of the easiest places to cut calories is often in our liquid intake. Switching to water can be such a huge benefit. If you regularly drink soda or juice or coffee, you're probably adding a great many calories into your diet that don't need to be there. My rule is: EAT your calories, don't drink them! It means more FOOD on a daily basis. This is important, especially in the early stages when you might be missing those 500 calories you cut out.

For many people who need to lose a significant amount of weight, this is a rock solid plan. However, if you only need to drop 5 or 10 pounds, I would recommend cutting these numbers in half and going for 1 pound a week. Cut 250 per day, and burn 250 per day. This will get you one pound a week. When you are closer to your ideal weight, it is easier on the body, schedule, and mind to drop weight a little more slowly. Part of the advantage to losing weight in small amounts each week, is it gives you plenty of practice to keep it off. Remember, you're not just trying to reach a goal, you're making changes that should stay around permanently.

Sounds simple huh? It is! The hard part is practicing it, every day.
I'll be the first to admit, after having done this for a whole year, that when I miss a day or two, I immediately start slipping in other areas. I don't know why it is, but bad habits seem to be contagious.  A little slip here, a little slip there, and the next thing you know I'm slipping everywhere!

I usually weigh myself every morning. It keeps me focused and on point. This is one of the first things to go when I start falling out of my regimen.
One thing that has been really helpful for me is constant goal setting. I usually do this in the form of signing up for a race. Last summer I did a triathlon. In the spring my wife and I have 3 half marathons in 3 months booked. So having a race on the horizon helps me stay in the groove as I get into my race training cycle. It's good to have a goal to work towards. In the past I joined weight loss contests at work or with friends because it motivated me. Find something that works for you and use it to stay motivated.

This is the basics of my 'How To Not Be Fat' formula.

So who wants to  take me up on this challenge: Try this plan for 2 weeks. I guarantee (or your money back!) that you will lose 4 pounds in 2 weeks if you actually reduce your calorie intake by 500, and burn 500 a day. The chances are if you are just starting out, you will probably lose MORE than 4 pounds. The first week or two tend to eliminate a lot of water weight when you start an exercise regimen. It's not unusual to lose 5 pounds that first week. If anyone is willing I would love to hear about it!

I should also mention that I am starting a photography business, and I would be more than happy to take before and after pictures of you:


Ok not like those, that would just be wrong!
Maybe more like Erik Chopin, of Biggest Loser fame:

So Get Going! And Please let us know if you take the challenge how you do. We'd love to hear from you!!!


1 comment:

  1. I will, I still have 13 lbs to go...however, I am at the "toning" stage, so I'm going to be looking at more like 0.75 lbs a week for the next 16 weeks. Slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete