Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pick up heavy things, put them down...

Hi,

My name is Scott and I'm a fatass. I used to not be a fatass.

Here's an example of non-fatass me -




Here I am today -



First pic I was at about 175lbs. I hit a high of 213 three weeks ago. Unacceptable. I've decided to un-fatass myself.

Most of the other bloggers here are runners. I'm not. Years of flailing around on stage have torn my knees up pretty good. The last time I ran any distance I got 1.5 miles into a 3 mile loop from my house and blew out a knee. That was an unfun limp back home. My fat loss will be achieved by picking up heavy things and putting them down again. I've got a good barbell set-up in my basement and will be doing a program based on Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. Bench press, squats, deadlifts and pull-ups...rinse, repeat.

I'm not a resolutionist. My foray back into the world of weightlifting just happens to coincide with the beginning of a new year. I do however have resolve.

I have no plans to do any of the following -
  • get toned
  • get ripped
  • get in shape (Hey! Round is a shape!)
  • get jacked
  • *insert any other handy slogan that the ad execs have invented ad nauseum

I resolve to be a walking, talking jungle gym for my daughter and soon to be born son. It's already a challenge to keep up with my 2 year old. I can't imagine what wrangling another kid at the same time is gonna do to me unless I make a drastic change in my strength and conditioning.

I resolve to be able to play football, basketball or any other sport of their choosing with my kids when they are older. I'm an old dad and I am only going to get older. I'll be in my mid to late 50's when my kids are teenagers. That freaks me the hell out.

I resolve to be a living example of what an active lifestyle looks like for my kids. Every day we hear about America's 'obesity epidemic'. It's a real thing and only going to get worse.

I resolve to be alive and healthy for as long as possible so I can be here for my family.

Rock on and stuff!

6 comments:

  1. Awesome, Scott! I also have a knee that sabotages many of the high calorie burning activities that the runners here enjoy! Drumming and dancing have taken the place of running and jumping!

    If you eat right, theres no reason why you can't get it off. 213 is a decent point for the light bulb in your head to go off. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and cool Rock n Roll photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Scott. Hope you have success early, and often. You can always hit the bike and the pool and the elliptical for extra cardio calories, but weight lifting is a fantastic calorie burner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

    I've been tracking my food intake and as of Monday I weighed in at 206.

    I'm hoping to get a decent bike this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracking your calories is one of the best things you can do to lose weight. And eating your calories, not drinking them goes a long way to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Scott! You've got some great motivators...it's amazing what you will do for your kids. :)

    ReplyDelete