Thursday, December 22, 2011

Timing is everything...Part II


Okay...In my last post I said that timing is everything. Part of what I mean by that is that, is picking your moments.

In regard to getting started, finding a time that is right for you is important. For me, I picked a random date that did not correspond to the holidays. I did not pick a date that made me aim for a date that made me stress. For example, I was not concerned about getting slim for summer. I didn't decide to begin as a New Year's resolution. I started on March 28th, 2011. The reason that date was good for me, was because I was in two bands this year, and I had back to back shows on the 28th and 29th. Knowing I would be playing drums for 4 hours on one night, and singing, dancing and playing hand percussion on the other, meant that I would have 8 hours of rigorous physical activity on less than 30 hours. If I drank only water during the shows, and came home and went right to bed, (no eating), then I would be sure to see immediate results. It worked. I lost 6 lbs in two days.

In the days following, I was feeling very positive about those results, and felt compelled to build on that success.

The second point about timing: When to eat.
I am a swing shifter at my job. I work late on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and early on Thursday and Friday. So I started eating at the same time everyday. I vowed to be finished with all food intake by 6pm. This meant eating at my desk Mon - Wed. So no more sleeping on a full meal. This paid huge dividends. I also became a breakfast eater. Part of my weight problem was directly related to not eating breakfast. I made a rule for myself that I would eat no later than 90 mins after waking up. Not my favorite, but now that I have it in my routine, I can really tell if I don't.

And the third point, was not setting a "goal date". I'll get there when I get there. No pressure. I did not tell anyone I was working on losing weight, because even though you have people supporting you, it made me feel uncomfortable. (Having people constantly ask, "How's the diet going?", was not something I was prepared to endure.) I kept a low profile, and waited for people to notice results, which cultivated a more positive environment for me. Before I knew it, I had lost 20lbs, and people were starting to notice. With my schedule doing shows, and my rules about "timing", It seemed like less work, and less stress.

Now the holidays are here, and I don't have to worry about making resolutions about weight. I can enjoy the holiday food without guilt, and the New Year holds more promise, than worry.

As a side note, I also quit smoking in August, after smoking for 30 years. I switched to e-cigarettes, which helped increase my energy level, and contributed to my weight loss.)

So, instead of following a regimen set up by someone who doesn't live my life, I was able to design a system that was wholly my own, and capitalized on my lifestyle and activities, to get results. Focusing on what you like to do, and using that to your advantage can be very helpful.

...and of course, timing was everything.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. People need to understand what a big deal it is to eat a healthy breakfast everyday, how it fires up your metabolism etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Tim! I'm so proud of you. You look mahhhhvelous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete