Monday, December 19, 2011

My Weight Loss / Health Goal Journey Cliche Bla Bla Bla

Let me introduce myself, I'm Shane. I'm an ordinary compulsive obsessive musician, hobbyist, outdoor enthusiast, runner, dude. I've managed to lose quite a bit of weight--more than 20% of my body weight--which is 45 pounds from my largest to where I am today. 

Forty-five pounds may not sound like a lot (in this age of the Biggest Loser), but on my 5'8" body, it was much more than I needed.
The loss has now become very noticeable. I've gotten enough compliments and questions that I thought maybe I have learned enough to share what I know with others. Just maybe it could help someone else who is sitting where I was a year and a half ago. I know there are a million other people writing about weight loss, and there is oodles of powerful information on the web, but I hope I can contribute something to people who can relate to me, my likes, dislikes, style, or sense of humor. I get the question a lot, "How did you do it?".   It seems like people are looking for the magic pill answer, and I can clear that up right now. There is no magic pill. Period.

There is only one true healthy way to lose and maintain weight, and here it is, The Big Secret:

Burn more calories than you take in OR take in less than you burn.
That's it!!!! Of course it helps to eat real, healthy food. You CAN manage to eat low calories while eating crap, but it's actually EASIER to eat healthy. In fact, the best food is often very low calorie food!

It's been quite a journey, and I've learned a lot along the way about being a healthy weight, losing weight in a healthy way, and maintaining a healthy weight indefinitely. My weight loss is inextricably linked with my running, so this blog will definitely be covering exercise as part of the weight loss routine. Without the exercise, I never could have gotten to where I am.

So, where am I? I'm 5' 8" and currently 150 pounds. At my heaviest, I was near 195 pounds and beginning to have many unhappy health issues including high cholesterol, triglyceride levels, chronic acid reflux, snoring with sleep disruptions, and pains in my sides from ligaments around my rib cage stretching so much I had to go ask the doctor if something was wrong.  My diet consisted of fast foods, processed foods, very few fruits and vegetables, and lots of pizza. I had also been a smoker for most of my adult life. I had a sedentary desk job and didn't do much else as far as physical activity goes. A bad combination.

The bottom line was that I was killing myself. Not even very slowly. So, I began not one, but several attempts to get myself to and maintain a healthy weight. It has taken me several years, multiple attempts, through many plateaus, diet changes, learning processes, and personal discovery to get here.

Full disclosure, I am no expert on diet, nutrition, exercise, or physiology, but I have learned a great deal of practical information and how these things affected me. Don't take my word for anything, especially diet-related, because the information is constantly evolving. Check it out for yourself, and ask your doctor for advice.

I have friends who are in different stages along the way of major weight loss/health initiatives who I intend to invite to contribute to this blog as well, so hopefully there will be information here that will be useful and interesting to many people.

So... without further ado... welcome to the discussion!!! I welcome your comments and feedback.







7 comments:

  1. Wow Shane! You look incredible! Awesome job and keep up the good work! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way- this Is Deb Earleywine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shane! Awesome before/after pics! As you already know, you & your wife have been very inspiring to me. I still have about 15 lbs. I want to lose. I've been able to lose 20 lbs. since January 2010 and have maintained it, but have seemed to have hit a plateau. Looking forward to reading more about your journey and picking up some great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed vicariously the growth of you and your wife as you journey on this effort to improve your health...and lifestyle. As former runners...Bill and I can really relate to what you are doing...and how much eating habits change as you go along. The biggest disappointment in my life is losing the abilty to even walk, let alone hike or climb mountains..so let me say, until I found the alternative exercise of swimming [and currently "walking in water", I thought I was doomed to just deal with being over weight. You guys have inspired me to keep on keeping on, and so far this year I have lost 30 pounds with eating healthier and exercising. Funny, one of my doctor's swears it's the exercise, and the other [an internist] affirms it's the change in eating habits! I believe they go hand in hand. I hope we can see you in Utah! raennshadow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Shane, my story is just like yours and it seems to be in the same year. The real difference is my height is 6'4" and my weight was 254 and now is 211. Blood Pressure was 167/121 and now 121/78 and High Cholesterol now it is normal. What a nightmare as I was killing myself. I feel so unbelievably different, my whole body use to ache, now there are only the aches from pushing to hard, not really bad though. I always believe no pain no gain. You sure have encouraged me, I hope my post has done the same, Great to be in your acquaintances. Fellow Musician and Hopefully Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks much for the comments. I will try to strike a balance between my built in sarcasm and being encouraging! I plan to do both and hopefully improve my writing as I go. My wife has wiped high blood pressure off the map with exercise and diet. She was on two kinds of meds and having extreme readings. Now her blood pressure looks great. The cure? Diet and exercise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes...I echo all these sentiments. Shane, and Tammy, along with some of my co-workers have really helped me to feel like, even tho I decided to go it alone, (I did not tell anyone of my intentions to lose weight, even as the lbs were melting off), I wasn't really alone. I was watching them to see how they were changing, and it helped me to see my own progress...and I think it made a huge difference in my day to day decisions, about want vs. need.

    ReplyDelete