Saturday, February 18, 2012

"But you're so thin! How could that happen?"

Hi all! Thanks to Shane for inviting me to share a little bit about a life changing event that (not coincidentally) happened two years ago today. I guess that my hope in writing this would be to encourage anyone who thinks that they can't be physically fit to find a path to achieve whatever level of fitness that means success to them.

February 18th, 2010
     7 AM  - Go to work
     8 AM  - Wonder why I'm having some mild heartburn (never have it)
     Noon  -  Nagging heartburn not going away ( maybe some food will help)
     2 PM  - Gag down my last cigarette (this will become obvious later)
     4 PM  - Drive home knowing there is something really wrong going on
     5 PM  - Ambulance called after cold sweats, chest pressure, and shortness of breath is real intense.
                  My wife and daughter both recognized that things were bad by the light gray coloring of my skin. Our neighbor Jayme (she is an RN), came over and said, "You look like shit. Call an ambulance now" Flattery will get you nowhere, Jayme.

I won't go into great medical detail here, but I had a heart attack on the way to St. John's Hospital. I remember some of the next hour or so, but suffice it to say that I knocked on Deaths door, and was lucky that he had gone bowling or to the grocery store. I had a 100% blockage in my left anterior descending artery, and two other blockages of 96%, and 97%. The fantastic Dr. Goswami put a stent in the 100% block, and did the other two 5 days later. I ended up spending a total of 8 looooooooooooong days in the hospital with lots of uncertainty hanging over our heads. The "our" I speak about is my fantastic family. I choke up sitting here writing this just thinking about their unbelievable love and support during this time. Becky, Jordan, Lucas, Audrey, Luciana, Nancy, Dee ........... just to mention a few. The support from friends was also critical in the mental game I played with myself. Would I have long term damage? How could I afford to miss work for an extended period of time? There were so many thoughts of self-doubt that popped in and out of my head. The support from family and friends got me through (and continues to get me through) the most difficult thing I'd ever dealt with.

Fast forward to April 25th (or therebouts) to my follow-up visit with the unbelievable Dr. Goswami. I had been told that some damage to the heart muscle should be expected. I had started doing some rehab at Prairie Heart Institute earlier in the month, and was feeling pretty good about how things were progressing. I had decided early on to not stick my head in the sand, and follow the directions of the different nurses and exercise physiologists who run the rehab program. Those of you that know me understand that this is not always a character trait that I exhibit.☺So after a few tests, my wife Becky and I are sitting in an exam room waiting for Dr. Goswami to come in and give us the lowdown. After what seemed like an hour, he walks in and says, "You're sort of a miracle. Your heart function is completely normal."

So back to the title of this story. I've always been very slender and active, and had so many people comment, "You're so thin, How could that happen?" Well, I ignored family history, didn't watch what I ate, smoked, didn't have regular check-ups, and dealt poorly with stress. All of that has changed now. I eat healthy foods, see my doc regularly, haven't smoked in two years ( the single most important change physically), and have a much more relaxed perspective. And I run. I run a bunch. Shane and Tammy can both testify to what running and exercise have done for them. I know what it has done for me too. I've run a handful of races, and am currently training for the Illinois Marathon in Champaign at the end of April. I'm also registered for the Chicago Marathon in October. (along with my oldest son Jordan, Shane and Tammy). The sense of accomplishment is tangible when you finish a race. It doesn't matter how fast you run, (although one should always try to improve their time as it relates to their fitness level) just finish what you start.

That's my story in relatively short form. Maybe (if Shane approves) I'll post about my first marathon experience in a few months. Until then, be well. . . . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rick, great story. You're a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Shane said! Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story with us. And running with us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick - I am so proud of you!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete